Friday, September 05, 2008

Lemon Laws

Have you ever had a car that you thought was a lemon? If so, how did you handle it? In 1999, I bought a brand new Toyota Camry and then in July of that year I moved to Florida. Soon after moving to Florida I started having problems with it not starting. Luckily Toyota has a very good warranty and they took care of towing and all repairs but it was still very scary for me. I never knew when it was going to happen and at the time I didn't have a good cell phone. I remember the last time that it happened, I was parked in the employee lot across from the Plaza Resort and Spa and I had to walk to a pay phone and then try to describe where my car was so that a tow truck driver could pick it up. It turned out to be a wiring issue in the door and they were finally able to get it fixed. Had I known that my car could have been classified as a "lemon", I would have saved myself a lot of time and headache.

I strongly urge you to check into the Lemon Laws by state so that you know what constitutes a lemon. According to Consumer Law Partners, in Florida the Lemon Law says that Three (3) repair attempts constitutes a "Lemon". My car definitely qualified because it was less than a year old and had been towed 4 separate times.

California Lemon Law cases show that quite a few high dollar vehicles have reportedly had a few "Lemons" in the bunch including BMW, Mercedes, and Land Rover. Just because a car brand is normally reputable does not mean that there aren't a few bad ones out there. Toyota's are known to last for years, but I traded mine after 2 years because of all of the problems. In the long run, it probably cost me by trading after only 3 years.

If you have Lemon Law questions, please look into it by visiting CLPLawyer.com. It might save you a lot of headache and money in the long run.





If you like this post then please consider subscribing to my full  RSS feed.


Add to Technorati FavoritesStumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great information and it helped me answer some questions we had regarding these laws in WI. Alas used vehicles are not covered here.